Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year... New ????...

Happy New Year! This new years I realized something very strange. New Years is just another day.... Nothing exciting... Nothing like when I was young dreaming of being older and able to go out to amazing parties all dressed up, dancing the night away with friends, kissing someone at midnight. I polled my friends...None of them remember any nights like that either. Maybe it was during my youth when the only thing I kissed at midnight was the top of a baby's head or toddlers as I tucked them into their covers. But now it is Smirk's turn to dream. She is at the crazy age where you are an adult, but not really as you cant really do anything adult. Sure you can stay out past midnight, but where do you go? A party...well that was a bust, a club?? No you cant as your friends are all younger than you and they cant get in... So you end up at a friends house doing nothing but watching movies, pausing to watch the ball drop. Then falling asleep...

New years day was much more amusing...for me anyway. As I did not have a hangover or was lacking in sleep in any way. I decided to take a turn around the harbor. It was very relaxing as I sat in the weak California sun watching the strange things maneouver down the channel. A few kayakers were out as well as a woman standing gondelier style on a surf board type vessel as she paddled down the channel. It looked a little odd, but fun. Then came the barrage of little dogs barking at the squirrels who live on this rather bleak looking edifice poking its way out of the blue Pacific. For those who dont live by the sea, the marina where I live was created by people dumping tons of boulders and rocks into the ocean at the appropriate point to create a wave break where the boats can pass safely behind into the marina area. This way the marina isnt pounded by heavy surf. But it doesnt look very pretty...Just jutting rocks and oil slicks... No palm trees or sand hiding the boulders...It is a very nice place to walk though...

After the barrage of little dogs yipping, I decided to walk down to the little shops in the marina. I really thought it would be empty but I was wrong! There were tons of people heading to the ferry that heads to Catalina. I thought how fun would that be...Going to Catalina for the day...If only I were dressed more appropriately...Sweat pants and ugg boots would not do for a day trip to an island...No, I should be dressed ala Doris Day in the Glass Bottom Boat... I could stow away on the ferry and spend the day galavanting on the in the surf... But since I wasnt sure of what they do to stowaways now days, I figured jail was not the best way to spend my day off... Maybe this next year will be better and I can afford the trip and the clothes and spend the first day of the New Year on an island... Happy New Year All!!

No comments: