Monday, June 27, 2011

Scents...

Does a smell ever make you think of things long ago or even a happy event. I know that if I smell baby powder, I smile. If I smell wet sagebrush and honeysuckle I think of summertime in the fields behind my house growing up. When I first moved back to Southern California after high school this area was certainly different than it is now.





Moving back almost 25 years ago, driving through Irvine was pleasant, it smelled of oranges, strawberries and eucalyptus trees. As the years went on and urban sprawl took over the oranges and strawberries became fewer and fewer. About 5 years ago, driving through Irvine you could smell the overwhelming scent of eucalyptus and freshly sown manured dirt.



Now when you drive through Irvine in the heat of the day, you have to hold your breath. It smells of stale stir fry oil, fish and bad chinese food...





Now I realize this post makes me sound ridiculously old in a "I can remember the good old days" granny voice, but I really do remember the good old days when you didnt have to hold your breath for a mile just to get to work without throwing up your morning coffee... I never thought I would wish for the smell of vicks and cow poop during my morning commute!

No comments: