Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dangerous Reading

Since January has now passed, so has my first month of the Year of Reading Dangerously Challenge. I have finished reading my first challenge, Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. All I can say is that Charles must have been going through a very strange time in his life when he penned this novel. I have read other books by Charles but this one was the first where I was only sympathetic with one of the characters... And he was a very minor character... The main character, Pip, was horrid. I really didn't care for him or about him in any way. If there was one book I did not want to finish, this was it...

But onto the next challenge, African American Literature... The next book is the Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. She is an impressive writer, having won a Pulitzer and a Nobel Prize for literature. The Bluest Eye is about a black impoverished family living in the midwest. It speaks to child molestation and racism... I have only gotten about 2 chapters in and so far, all I feel is pity and revulsion...

I am glad I started this challenge as these are two books, I would never have considered reading... I know for Great Expectations, I would have just watched the movie and the Bluest Eye, I would have (and did) walked by this book in the book store and not bothered to stop. Hopefully reading this book will expand my thoughts and feelings toward another genre of writing and people in this world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Expanding your horizons is a good thing.. but do the books have to be such an ordeal to get through?.. There are so many friendlier books to read.. travel, knitting, farming, sailing, ... nuclear physics...