Friday, February 1, 2008

I hear the first step is to admit you have a problem...

Hello, my name is Smiley and I am a food-blog-aholic. I love food blogs!!! I eat (all puns intended) them up!!! I enjoy devouring strangers’ words on interesting foods and prep techniques in all corners of the glob. The delicious looking photos inspire me to create new and wonderful treats. Even though I suck as a baker, I want to melt chocolate and whisk cream and grate lemon zest and whole nutmeg. I have always been addicted to the Food Network, but this could become a problem. I sit in my little cubicle at work, on conference calls and peruse sites like http://tartelette.blogspot.com/ and http://www.pinchmysalt.com and dream of how cool it would be to make some of these confections. You may not think this to be a problem, but it can be...
Since I love to cook, my poor offspring have been subjected to many a disaster dinners that have been inspired by recipes I have seen on the web. This also brings about my love for grocery shopping.. Not the day to day drudgery shopping but the explore the aisles and look for cool and unusual products. While I dont get to buy many, a month ago, inspired by a post about braising, I did purchase two pounds of beef short ribs. I have never cooked such a product, but I was so intrigued by this post I had to try. These ribs have sat in my freezer waiting, patiently biding their time until my creativity was unleashed. This happened yesterday.
I was working from home and while on another conference call from hell, I rediscovered the braising post. Creativity unleashed I bound to the freezer, started throwing open cupboards, sharpening knives (Thank goodness for mute on conference calls). After the call had ended, and follow up emails had been sent, I started in. I chopped onions and spices. I seared those little ribs and prepared the braising liquid. It was wonderful. Soon the house was filled with the aroma of meaty goodness. Then with even more inspiration I set out to prepare what could go with this meaty wonder and decided that I needed something crunchy to go with it...So I promptly started slicing again, this time potatoes, they were to be parboiled and sautéed until they were crunchy and flavorful. By the time I was done, the offspring were salivating and begging for dinner to start... Eureka!!! I had done it!!! The meal was wonderful and satisfying... Grin didnt like the potatoes, she would rather have them mashed, but Smirk could appreciate the crunchy texture with the soft veggies and meat. They both agreed this was a winner and asked that it be added to our dinner repertoire. (Auntie, we do have leftovers.. I will be bringing them to you this weekend!)
So all in all, my addiction to food blogs cannot be bad, and I thank each and every inspiring blogger out there, hopefully all my inspirations will turn out that good and my poor little offspring will not have to suffer too much!!!

No comments: