Friday, February 8, 2008

Why I bring my lunch....

Today the boss was stuck on meetings all day long (my fault as I like him occupied when he is town instead of asking me to do meaningless tasks which keep me from my foodblogging obsession) but he was not going to be able to leave the office to get some lunch. I knew this and did not bring my lunch so I thought I would be able to treat my self to lunch that someone else prepared!! I went and got him his lunch, although I do not believe Jamba Juice is an adequate lunch for a man in his 40's who has high blood pressure and a demanding job....But I am not a nutritionist and he doesn’t read this blog so it doesn’t matter. Anyhoo... Because I work and live in a fairly affluent area, its not Newport or anything but still there are upper middle class folks wandering around, I am never surprised to see groups of "Ladies" lunching....So as I was standing in line at the Corner Bakery waiting to order my favorite salad, the Lady in front of me, with 2 year old in tow, was trying to peruse the menu, look for a table and control her son at the same time... Unable to multi-task efficiently, she kept her eye out for the table, and on the menu but not on "Michael". I know this is the child’s name, because every two seconds she would remember the child, look down and say, "Michael, Stop that!" and remove his hands from whatever object he was currently attempting to demolish. I was faintly reminded on the Bill Cosby Skit "Jeffrey"(if you are not familiar check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0cYJUqJys... Go ahead, we will wait...Are you back??? Good, keep that image in mind)

Michael was bored...It was probably past his nap time and he just wanted to roam. So instead of nurturing her child and entertaining his mind and occupy his hands, she at the next glance towards his grubby, chubby little fingers reaching for the lovely cookies wrapped and tied with a bow for purchase, she grabbed his little hand, slapped it, and said No! in a low growl that probably frightened the diapers off this tot. She then heaved him up into her "loving" arms and proceed to pay attention to everything else in the restaurant other than the bored little child rubbing his snotty nose on her Ann Taylor Blouse.

Needless to say I was extremely glad to be getting my food to go, because if this is the way she was in line, imagine how much attention Michael was going to receive when she finally sat down at the table with her posse.

Now you may wonder, by this time the purpose of this rant... Is the crazy woman against hitting a child? Is she against Lunching Ladies?? Or Lunch Ladies or restaurants in general?? Is she against small, grubby, snotty children?? No... Not really, I think I am against people having the offspring and then not paying attention to them or nurturing their little self worths...All she had to do was talk to the little bugger... She just needed to ask him what he wanted for lunch or ask him to look around and see if he could find the elephant. Of course there is no elephant in the Corner Bakery, but it would keep him occupied....Think of the meltdown that child is going to have when he gets to the table and no one pays him any mind until they go to smack him... Poor Little Michael... Maybe he should have stayed home with the Nanny....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe mom's only crime is in naming the child Michael.. I think any kid with that name will be a hellion until he grows up.. I can still hear my auntie yelling "Michael Michael Michael" ... always 3 times in a row and he never did listen. Horrible child.. very nice man now..